What is Fair Trade?
To put it simple, “Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers.” Fairtrade Foundation. The impact of fair trade, however, can go much further and can be a tangible contribution to the fight against poverty, climate change and global economic crises. (WFTO)
Here at Green Shed, we seek out business who adhere to the 10 Principles of Fair Trade set out by The World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) and many of our products have received the WFTO mark. People Tree were the first fashion business ever to receive this mark.
These 10 Principles are:
- Creating Opportunities for Economically Disadvantaged Producers
- Transparency and Accountability
- Fair Trading Practices
- Payment of a Fair Price
- Ensuring no Child Labour and Forced Labour
- Commitment to Non Discrimination, Gender Equity and Women’s Economic Empowerment, and Freedom of Association
- Ensuring Good Working Conditions
- Providing Capacity Building
- Promoting Fair Trade
- Respect for the Environment
To find out more about the work of The World Fair Trade Organisation click here.